The Instrument (Portrait #2)

a0a9ca726ef34c0f2fd1ced2c6c5e874

And dust was inside, so much earthly powder rising, floating. I fanned it away, swiping three times. Breathless, I dared to look deeper.

For I knew this was a dust that could bite, its fangs lay into your skin so softly, you think you only have an itch, then a blinding light loosens upon you, never dimming.

I waited for the storm to settle and found her glimmer. She was naked, naked silver, like a dissected serpent, a flute, an instrument of sound, not chatter, dormant.

I’ve had enough of the latter to last all my lifetimes, but her body held certain tones of gravitation, melodies of singularity, connecting my emotion with thought, bunching up within me, squirming in my gut, rattling amongst my speculations.

My ears, I blamed for all confused utterances, yet I loved them, for they alone had the ability to divvy up beauty from all noise competing for my attention.

And now I had found her, mute, unmoved, and now my fingers brushed against the pitting of silver plate, the gilding of argent, rough greenish, blackish pits within metal and marks of ancient lips imprinted upon her embouchure.

A sound was made, shaped, guided, the union of a kiss. My lips wetted, my body moist, until they came following the sound.

And they smiled as if they loved me, stood in admiration, ready to woo me to the sound not the harmony.

She was just metal, wasn’t she? Who could love someone based upon a sound? It was not me, I swear. She developed warmth upon a touch and it was that heat they heard.

She dropped from my lips, the branches of my soul, back into the dusty dark, where I swear I loved her more than any, until another pair of ruby stained lips would press upon her neck.

Someone will jump back into that grave, looking for the flowers of her melody.

85845a8f1680ec1a1328dc37c3bc0062

This entry was posted in Flash Fiction, Portraits and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to The Instrument (Portrait #2)

1. bego1978 says:

I love your style. I got all the images and emotions. I will keep reading your work. Best regards.

2. sirenaross says:

Ghost Stories for the Wilderness Impaired, When will it be a book?

3. calensariel says:

“I stumbled upon her, hidden behind a large sliding door, within the comfort of darkness, unmoved, silent. Is that possible? She seemed so old, so incredibly old, as if one touch would turn her into dust. And dust was inside, so much earthly powder rising, floating.”

I visit 102-year-old Eunice a couple times a month. I know (at least I think I know) that you’re not writing about a human (or am I wrong?), but you just described my visits with Eunice. Your words conjured her up so clearly for me.

4. I never fail to enjoy your work, simply amazing. In fact when you stay long without appearing on my emails I’m tempted to ask you what’s wrong. Great work Elan.

5. Daleen says:

Absolutely breathtaking writing! It captured my imagination, as your writing always does

Exquisite. You conjure up magic in your poetry. I like especially “divvy up beauty” from competing noise.

7. C.J. Black says:

The beauty of words on a page. Thanks for dropping by.

8. Arisa says:

beautiful!!

9. Another absorbing story from you Elan! If you are not pubished one day and a highly regarded author I’d be very surprised. You have enourmous talent and potential. By the way have you read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? I think you’d love it!

10. salvatoreala says:

I was thoroughly transfixed.

11. literarylad says:

This is beautiful. Your writing is very imaginative. I’m glad you found my blog, else I might never have seen yours. Where do you find all those wonderful images?

12. And, “someone will jump back into that grave” to resurrect her sound, melody, as we follow her tones into bliss…

13. Madhurima says:

Beautiful read. It took me there.
    And the play with words is engrossing yet subtle in it’s feminity.
    Beautiful.

14. I want to follow you but for some reason my phone keeps not letting me hit the button I will do it on my computer I just wanted to tell you I like your stuff nevermind I am following you

15. johnlmalone says: