The Floor Is So Cold Tonight

80e3ab3646a86783ec30f3d992829716

The floor is so cold tonight

The dust scurries, moves, hides

My palm takes the pulse of linoleum

Wax, dirt, desire, finish,  surface,  sealer

Remnants of shine, all but a bug skeleton speck

We were the warmth, the life, struggle, the stumble

Laying here, cold floor moved into heat, a ghost sheen

I turn my palm upwards, as if to control something gone

Wasn’t the air the heaviest that night? It pressed us down

What we left is now unlocked—floorless space, — abandoned

The floor is so cold tonight

As if it has misplaced the words

My spine. I cannot lay flat upon you

Your plastic skin has been manufactured

Pain was not real, that night, or any other night

Only the imprints of our bodies, evaporating quickly

Lost all signs, signifiers, meaning and meat, bone and skin

We are a candy wrapper skinned sweet, scent of survival absurd

We could not stay here, it isn’t ours, it belongs to the larger rooms

Tile that mingles, inner juices hold the universe at bay, floor is spinning

The floor is so cold tonight

My feet are getting dirtier, dirtier

We cleaned together, clung, to our heavyness

I am a crumpled paper, phone number named me

Our bodies—gravity, whirled—beneath the skin, floor

Sunk, muscle—pushed up, propping my arm upon you

We came here for the moments, motions, our starving plans

Pieces of tile, adhered, adorned, measured, while yet becoming

Worlds are found in rooms, they are claws scratching the flooring

We remember the feeling of the room, the air, our bodies, the cool, cool, cool, cool

Bill-Brandt

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Floor Is So Cold Tonight

1. calensariel says:

Glancing at that picture while reading those first words was almost hypnotic. Awesome.

2. steelnglass says:

Reblogged this on Music is Real and commented:
    Touching!

3. Cam says:

I love the structure of this poem…it adds to the ‘jaggedness’ of it. The line “We are a candy wrapper skinned sweet, scent of survival absurd” gives insane imagery (plus contrast of candy versus peeling of skin) and the dissonance used hear is just so easy and beautiful to read, it’s effortless.

4. Sinéad says:

A very powerful and moving poem, and heart-rending, but your emotion didn’t take from your structural control or skill. wonderful stuff!

5. vjearle says:

Excellent! Love the contrast between the photos and symbology of the floor.

So very excellent. I love the line I…a crumpled paper, phone number named me. If I could speak in feelings then I could say how your poetry impacts me. ❤

7. Daleen says:

Deeply moving and magnificent

8. Thanks for following my blog, and for letting me in on the poetic awesomeness that’s going on here. If the pictures aren’t intriguing enough, the words are downright mesmerizing. I’m looking forward to ongoing raptness. =)

9. auroen says:

I love the diction in this piece. Absolutely riveting imagery.

10. I love this poem of yours. Not only the way you write it so beautiful, but I noticed that it is almost stairs-like phrases written on the page as if you paint it that way. 🙂

Lovely!

11. noelleg44 says:

Loved this poem – edgy, emotional, wonderfully descriptive. I could feel myself lying on the floor!

12. Miz_Akwele says:

This is soulful. I felt every line!

13. Siteri Nadi says:

I enjoyed this poem.

14. Grace Black says:

So glad I found your blog. Your poetry is raw and deliciously real. “My palm takes the pulse of linoleum,” love this line!

15. Anita Lubesh says:

Considerable write, in both contrasting images and imagery and format -they all worked with those killer thoughts and your uniqueness.