New Legend, Old Story

Sea Lions were eating

Her sisters and brothers

So, Salmon decided

To walk around the dam.

This was risky, because

Salmon had no legs and

Couldn’t breathe outside water.

Salmon asked Man for help.

Man agreed and scooped

Up Salmon in nets,

Promising to take her

Beyond Beaver’s dam.

But, Man liked Salmon too much

Breaking the promise,

Keeping Salmon for himself.

While Man fished for Salmon

Beaver kept building

His dam, bigger and bigger.

So big, that River started

To worry… and like Salmon

Decided to go around the dam

With no legs and lungs,

Ruining Man’s corn and wheat.

Man became mad at River

Bringing in the army corps of profiteers

Who built dikes and false banks

Alongside River’s shoulders

Causing River to ask Rain and Wind

For help

Flooding Man’s lodge,

Freeing Salmon.

Upon returning home

Salmon didn’t recognize her

Sisters and brothers…and

Today, this very moment,

Who is the twin of Tomorrow,

She swims alone

Until River and Man

Agree together…..to

Take her beyond Beaver’s dam

Where Mountains

Have been waiting

Upstream

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to New Legend, Old Story

1. Bushka says:

Not sure whether ‘Man’ is ready for compromise….or let alone concessions. 🙄

2. JC says:

Man and his forgotten promises… pitiful!

3. frankpovah says:

Absolutely beautiful and spot on. Love it Elan. I have seen that Man is trying to rectify this in at least a couple of US rivers.

4. If man could be as honest as Salmon and busy as Beaver how wonderful the world would be, but man will ever be wanting to change everything but himself, so Salmon will always face struggle with River in order to reach those mountains we all look for.

5. Great message Elan. Timely for B.C., wanting to build a great new dam on the Fraser River.

6. grantman says:

Dam… that gave me a chill.. a beautiful pice of writing…..Loved it Elan

7. This is beautiful, the sound of the simple beauty of an old Native-American folk tale.

8. Very nice poem once again Elan. Is`nt it amazing (probably not the best word to use) the struggle between humankind and nature to exist together. There is no doubt that we need to respect nature. You only need to look at recent storms around the world to show the devastation she can cause. If we learn to respect her that would be a good start.

I took the plight of the salmon to heart when I took a river cruise on the Columbia and Snake Rivers. I’ve been rooting for every small step forward on their behalf. Wonderful poetry.

• frankpovah says:

Is it the Snake that is being rehabilitated so that the salmon can regain their natural life cycle?

I’m not naive. I know that the Columbia River dams will not come down. They are vital parts of the grid. However, I feel that as part of this planet, we sometimes don’t think things through before we act.

• frankpovah says:

Ah I see – it’s a while since I saw the documentary (while living in KY). The interesting thing about that film was that it pointed out from my point of view was that all the work done by govt agencies to hatch and nurture salmon for release in the rivers really only helps the salmon canneries, that the taxpayers are supporting that industry rather than really helping the salmon. Interesting things came to light about the way the fingerlings need to travel in the first weeks and so on – I could go on, but I won’t. Happy New Year Elan, you are a good person.

10. frankpovah says:

My very best wishes for the New Year to all – let’s hope for a better world

11. MIKE256 says:

Very well written Elan. Keep up the good work!

12. Joyful2bee says:

Mother Nature will rule in the end. Great story!!

13. zoeeteh says:

It is extremely impressive .🐼

14. Jonathan James Olivier says:

That was really impressive. I am not a poetry fan but I will be back to read more. That was really amazing. So visual and spot on. Wow.