Fawn Earphones

2f0aa98f145dfddd252c0fae4f4c5c59

A fawn ran into the road

Losing its stealth, naked

Stumbling over the yellow line

Hooves slipping on wet pavement.

I’m travelling inside a Zipcar

Hyundai Elantra Sedan

Named “Irene”

Controlling the accelerator with ease

Warp speed for a human

Even on the curves

Mixtape masterpiece,

very loud, Blasting

Thinking what a nice forest this is.

As light years of wilderness

Blur by me

The fawn and I

Miss each other by a split-second.

I stop, turn off the music

Roll down the window

Very, very quiet-like.

The forest sings to me

Wind, leaves, the movement of life

I look for the fawn

Trying to pick her out

Of ferns, firs, and moss

Off the road, but…..

“Irene” wants to keep going

Her engine and heater

A constant reminder of

What I control, as if I’ve lost control

Or lost the awareness

Of the world being something

I’m not driving through

But, an engine that hums through me.

I drive slower with the music off

That deer has a good taste in music

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Fawn Earphones

1. Your poems are always so lovely

2. Yes, the deer has good taste in music. Some manage to go through life with never enjoying the sounds that come from a “silent” forest. BTW, had one of those Elantras. They will move you!! 🙂

3. I love your writing style. I write fiction and am blogging a book. Would you be interested in doing a post exchange? Thanks. Dee

4. Because of something that happened long ago, I know that, for me, seeing a deer is God’s message: “You’re doing fine.” And they come along at exactly the right, unexpected times…xoxox

5. frankpovah says:

Thank you, Elan – my heart leaped at the vision of the fawn slipping on the wet pavement. You scared me for a minute there.

6. Nurse Kelly says:

A stunning write, Elan. I prefer the silence, the forest, and the fawn as well.
    That image is amazing! Perfect accompaniment as always. 🙂

7. I like this one Elan. Fantastic experience. PS: I too drive an Elantra, a Touring. And I met a skunk on our driveway one night walking in from the post box. Also a close one. I like your better. Nicely done.

8. Such great imagery.. Beautiful post😊

9. Neat, and full of music. 🙂

10. evolvingvibe says:

I love the way you write!

11. vjearle says:

Where do you get your pics? This is priceless, and I love the poem!

12. There are bound to be moments in life, that you just wish you could go back, but, each and every single moment passes us by too quickly, and, before we realized that those moments are gone, time had, slipped away, from our hands, and we’re left with our own regrets…

13. Talia Hardy says:

So well crafted Elan. The poem serves to remind us of how we actually miss as we thrust through life.

14. great freeform. I was completely in that car with you, experiencing that sort of disassociated epiphany.

15. Well done. Great concept. I really enjoyed it

16. literaryeyes says:

This is one of the best poems I’ve read in years. I love the levels of awareness and reflection on what it’s like to be human in our world today. Is it okay if I reblog?

17. luckyjc007 says:

Nicely written. 😊

Beautiful interaction between you and a woodland creature. I like what the fawn had to teach you. Lovely poem.

19. Technology eats nature. In the future we’ll have the option of living in massive urban utopias of concrete and I-robot, or live wet cold shivering in the woods, in maybe like northern Canada, after technology thaws the rest of the perma-frost.

20. Just Joan says:

I love that the Zip Car has a name, Irene. My Honda is named Egbert. We’ve had close calls like this on old country roads near my home and it always makes me grateful for the slow car or red light that made me arrive at that place a few seconds later.

21. Pingback: Hello, Followers (February 21, 2016)! – Shmaltz and Menudo

22. Meez Pat says:

Beautiful imagery of fawn and music

23. Morag Donald says:

Love this Elan. Thanks for sharing.

24. literaryeyes says:

Reblogged this on Mary Clark, Writer and commented:
    A very good poet–I recommend his site

25. randyjw says:

Hi, Elan! This is a sweet poem. I’m glad you created it!

26. Sweet Nan says:

What great imagery! Who could resist a piece like “Fawn Earphones?’