The Close Distance

0db3f6e2881576b13c27fc1c140b8485

In hot summer

With night sky exposed

We sit with backs to the planet

Searching for satellites.

Those stars that move

Ploughing the heavens

In strict straight lines……..and then

Once found, followed, observed, concluded in

A celebration of our simple control

Of a sky so close

That it shapes our visions

Even when the atmosphere

Stirs up dirt or is measured

Carefully for precipitation.

We hold hands for the first time

And it feels like they fit together

Our eyes darting from sky to eyes

Different colors, different light,

To each star, a name, a distance

In this moment of movement

The ground is warmer

Cotton blend flat upon turf

Don’t kiss me yet

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Close Distance

1. dulcetones says:

Ethereal, summery, beautiful.

2. Sonderwriter says:

That was so delicate yet riveting. Makes me want a summer love 😉

3. annwjwhite says:

I love the end of the poem, so unexpected and so very real. Thanks.

4. Wow – fantastic poem! Twist at end full of all sorts of energy (and possibilities).

5. Thank you for sharing this wonderful poem with us!

6. cbeckwith32 says:

I like this poem. It reminds me of the time I dated a guy in high school for less than a week, but we took a night walk, held hands, and watched the stars. As we lay there looking up, heturned to me in what could have been a sweet teenage romance of a moment and kissed the side of my boob (bra and shirt on). Then he said,”I had to do that”. Strange encounter. I should have said, “don’t kiss me yet”.

7. brandiselph1 says:

I absolutely love this!

8. mrsorenson says:

excellent. multisensory, flitting, and intent.

9. roberta m says:

I love reading this–it’s like a veil of summer. I would love to paint it some time. That may sound unusual; but I can see this poem represented by a certain palette! And it’s lovely.

10. Grandtrines says:

Reblogged this on Still Another Writer's Blog.

11. sanberdooboy says:

i enjoyed reading this, a lovely summer poem about skies and holding hands. i, too like the last line. there are many ways it could be interpreted.

12. Deepak Singh says:

Everything that has to happen, happens in these moments of movement. Thanks for sharing.

13. martha0stout says:

Let us just have this moment
    Undefined
    Without ending.

14. skat says:

So many things to commend this. “Ploughing the heavens” is a gorgeous line. Thank you for sharing this piece.

15. This is startlingly beautiful. Made my day. Thank you for sharing this. I am glad I came across your blog. Can’t wait to go through your body of work. Keep posting. Thanks

16. dashpenned says:

“With night sky exposed, we sit with backs to the planet” – so elegant and subtly surreal. This makes me visualise illustrations from The Little Prince.