Single Use Cup

Bristol

Bristol

The art that surrounds me are images of images already in place

I am the one who is expected to make a decision

through them, these paintings, figurines….for they are

Copied onto permanent canvas, drawn into form, molded into judgement

Named and named again, endless titles

Serving anger and compassion, attack and defense, pride and prejudice

Stirring the swirling palette of mash ups, in the land of dances

Making me dance, full of fervor, entwined in embedded memories

For my head is a twirling history of black and white atomic bombs

John’s bloody head full of conspiracy theories and Jacqueline’s pink hat

Reagan’s red blushed cheeks and a dusty New York.

This art is frozen into me, stars stuck in my stomach, aching

I vomit up all the dried acrylics produced by the painters.

And there is enough there to make me want to love it all like a pro

For I must believe I am a lover

Even as I dry heave belief in amounts no cloud could contain

Sitting with my head near the toilet

The sound of my empty throat echoes off porcelain

Hoping the sunrise will sober me up

Yet, I will vote for you, my love. Take me.

I drink you while you’re hot, when the paint is still wet in your hands

To soothe my stomach, then toss

The single use cup where your past memories

Never decompose

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Single Use Cup

1. Wow. I absolutely love this post

2. shimmy440 says:

Another good one but should be “while you’re hot”. Sorry, auto-reaction 🙂

3. variouslemon says:

“For my head is a twirling history of black and white atomic bombs

John’s bloody head full of conspiracy theories and Jacqueline’s pink hat

Reagan’s red blushed cheeks and a dusty New York.” BRILLIANT

4. Tanya Cliff says:

Brilliant, Elan. Simply, brilliant!

5. I like the way you use your words soul. Amazing!

Cheers! ^_^

6. artrosch says:

I’ll be your fan forever, Elan. It’s okay to dance around open wounds. how would you avoid them? They’re everywhere. There are a few lines in here that are better than a long piss after holding it for hours in a hot car.

7. Pingback: The Poetry of Elan Mudrow – eric adriaans

8. Fine poem, I read, a dark note, the feeling of having been emptied and subsequently crumpled.

9. Sanford Rey says:

“John’s bloody head full of conspiracy theories and Jacqueline’s pink hat”
    Brilliant.

10. bellefemme9 says:

I just adore you and your work…the end ❤