Nacre

Hoping to find a pearl,

A poem within

The cold metal shell

Warmed by my touch

As the keys move with

Currents, tides, waves

Settling in diverse pools.

But, sometimes poems

Slip out as granules of sand

Nuisances, unfiltered….Having

Their own kind of rough beauty.

I have hope for them

For I believe and must believe

As any parent must believe…that

I have a three chambered heart

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Nacre

1. Ralph says:

The creative soul’s lament. Nicely, nicely

Simply phenomenal.

3. cbeckwith32 says:

What does a three chambered heart mean? I love the poem, but I couldn’t figure out that part…

An oyster has a three-chambered heart. It’s used as an allegory or extended metaphor. Does this clear things up? In the poem the metaphor pertains to love, conviction, pride, lament, guilt, you name it. My advice to you is to read H.D., Pound, perhaps The Four Quartets by Eliot. Here is a comparison, when Stein entitled her book “Tender Buttons”, what did she mean? I hope this helps.

• cbeckwith32 says:

I get it!! YAY! That clears it up completely and WOW! Great poem – especially now that you’ve explained that part. I like the contrast of waves/currents/tides to the granules of sand slipping between your fingers. Both unpredictable, both can be chaotic, random, and beautiful. A short poem with a powerful punch!

4. Simply perfect 😊

5. artrosch says:

And two stomachs, Elan.

6. lifecameos says:

You talk about writing so clearly ! Brilliant !

7. Coincidentally, did you hear about the 34 kg natural pearl discovered in the Philippines?

8. Oh I LOVE this, and agree it’s phenomenal.

9. sablescm says:

The comparison of a laptop to an oyster is not one I had thought of before, but it makes so much sense!

You captured my interest from the very first line and kept it until the end. It’s a metaphor I will take to heart – I think I’m hoping for a few pearls myself at the moment, haha.

I’m new around here, but I will definitely be stopping by in the future.

10. z3ng33kgr7 says: