Motion Detector

Photo by Elan Mudrow

We come with a penumbra

A lighter ring around the internal

Within the greater external

An outer fuzziness of contact

That communicates an abstract

Unstable in its assumptions

Rewarded for its divinations

It detects movement, motion

Perceives, discerns, distinguishes

Identifies, classifies, establishes

Bound with embossed hard cover,

Inside, soft pages to discover

Organic in its innocence.

Mechanical in its wickedness

When solidified, condensed into form

Becomes art we put forth as charm

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Motion Detector

1. Ralph says:

“…(If I listen to your singing, eyes wide open, would I recognize the shape of your voice? And if so, would it be my experience or would your song be watching me?) ”

This one is rather Brilliant !
    I’m stealing it to put as a signature on emails. (credit of course)
    What a great Pick Up Line , as well LOL

2. Judi Risser says:

Love this

3. Love the flow of this!! 👍🏻👍🏻

4. Phil Huston says:

What happens on the margins, on the fringe, are often more interesting than the things that get close. If I closed my eyes would your voice feel the same? Pop music (not muse) mantra – People hear with their eyes.

5. Just Joan says:

I love the loose rhyme woven through here — less than a pattern, more than a coincidence. The contrast of outer self and inner self. Especially loved this paradox: “Inside, soft pages to discover / Organic in its innocence. / Mechanical in its wickedness.” Not sure if the italics at the end were part of the poem or just something to think about, but works either way. 🙂

6. Rae Longest says:

Love this…I was exhausted today, and it encouraged me to keep on going, being aware of my surroundings and of others IN my surroundings. Motion in us seniors is IMPORTANT!

7. kobe21jason says:

The song comment at the end is beautiful. Encompasses becoming art, art living through you.

8. novonay says:

Nice one! Lovely post

9. Beautiful writing and photo!

10. Pingback: Motion Detector | unstilledheart

11. Olga says:

Intriguing image, Elan. My eyes move through it with joyous wonder. ❤

12. Fantastic, love it. Well penned. ☺

13. jameslantern says:

When you write your poetry is it an outsider looking in or insider looking out?

The self-reflexiveness of my writing, its foregrounding of its own linguistic, figurative, and operations, its willed interface with the transparency of discourse, is, in its effects if not always in its intentions, allied to an apprehension of the claims of otherness, of that which cannot be expressed in the discourse available to me, you, us–not because of an essential ineffability but because of the constraints imposed by that discourse, often found in my writing’s productivity and proliferation.

14. jameslantern says: