Salmon River Spring

Cool kiss from the forest

Stirs an inner revival

Charged by its music

Fresh from the source

That drums upon rocks.

As if my very bones

Were strewn underneath

The stream of Orpheus

Whose rhythms sink

Past thirst, deep within

My core, my atomic spirit

Embedded in my soft clay.

I am as tall as shadows

Of family fir and cedar.

Old growth is in my pitch.

I cup my hands, tightly

Holding what all life desires.

My fingers are born

Into this song shape

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Salmon River Spring

1. This is beautiful Ellen!

2. marialberg says:

Gorgeous picture. That water looks so refreshing.

3. shunpwrites says:

Awesome image, amazing wordplay!

4. Henrietta Watson says:

A very good poem. Thanks for sharing!

5. Olga says:

Beautifully written, Elan. Nature is always inspiring. What a lovely scene you’ve captured. Love the words ‘inner revival’. ❤

6. I really like ‘as if my very bones were strewn underneath’ as I live in a forest and feel that way sometimes. The picture matches so well. Wonderful, and thank you.

7. Phil Huston says:

We are the planet, and the planet is us. We belong to one another. Mother Earth. Far more than a concept. Thanks!

8. Eric M says:

I enjoyed reading this aloud to my family, twice!

9. Well written, please visit my blog for poetry and follow if you like my work…

10. Elisa says:

I LOVE this one and the image!

11. Really like this, especially “my atomic spirit”
    Certain elements [Full disclosure, I was never good with science] have a half-life, which is the time it takes for half of the element to decay – I think they use it as a measurement, because some things have a half life of 10k + years, so it’s a time saver…. but think of the atomic spirit- it’s “Half-Life” so to speak is eternity – immutable, the only thing not subject to decay, entropy, and all the other ways the natural world reclaims its own. The clay belongs to the earth, but the spirit, with atomic strength, carries on in absolute perpetuity. Excellent Juxtaposition – I never thought of it that way.

Seeonee

12. Grace says:

I love the way you write. ❤ ❤

Beautiful last two lines define the river’s gift – “my fingers are born into this song shape”.

14. I am deeply drawn to writings of nature’s way; the very place where I inevitably find my center.

15. onyx-natasha says:

Hello again, I’m sorry I gave out the wrong address for the Mystery Blogger Award , here is the correct address for the nomination!

16. What beautiful pictures and descriptions.

Brava.. 🌹🌹🌹

18. naturebackin says:

I admit that when I first looked I somewhat dreaded yet another poem. But the music of the river and your song soon enchanted me into following …

You have given me the largest compliment I could have ever hoped for. I once baked my own bread. I guess I’m still a baker of a sort and will hope you will inspire me to start baking again. Thank you.

19. Beautifully written…I find writing about our connection to nature deeply moving. Well done!

20. kenneth says: