Grasp

This trail cannot always follow the river. In time, the river will change course due to landslides, fallen trees, earthquakes, perhaps volcanic eruption. Creeks and springs, which feed the river, will chew chunks out of rock, ground, the shell the trail is constructed upon. Trail closures are frequent. The hiker, disappointed beauty is blocked from easy reach, urges rebuilding, reconstruction. A new trail is placed down, wandering, slightly in a new direction, easier or harder, carved to track the new stretch of river…..who, like the old trail cannot always follow the river. The hiker, then, looks for means to keep the river within the same path, to hold beauty within continual grasp. Dikes, retaining walls, dams, aqueducts, and canals are built. This grasp cannot always follow the river.

(Alternative title, “Beauty and the River”)

This entry was posted in Portraits and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Grasp

1. Ellora says:

A lovely piece for work. The contrast between the beginning (how nature will change the river) and the end (how the hiker wishes to keep it the same) was really effective. I also liked the alliteration of ‘chew chunks’.

Great work 🙂

2. sherimcguinn says:

I like grasp as the title. It seems more to the point.

3. Beautiful. Both the writing and the photo. I love the message.

4. Phil Huston says:

And yet they must always include a handrail…

5. THAT was an eye catching picture.

6. ivors20 says:

The forces of nature versus the interruptions of mankind, so well depicted here within your words

7. Susan says:

I see parallel to the course of relationships in your post. Well done.

Astute metaphor for life’s twisting pathways. The picture is like an anchor. Beautiful piece.

9. Lovely, layered piece!
    The river is a force and will have its way. One of my favorite quotes by Wendell Berry:
    “Men may dam it and say that they have made a lake, but it will still be a river. It will keep its nature and bide its time, like a caged animal alert for the slightest opening. In time, it will have its way; the dam, like the ancient cliffs, will be carried away piecemeal in the currents.”

10. Renee Espriu says:

Wonderful write Elan. I hiked much in my youth but this trail would probably not one I would have ventured onto…physically, that is. Really good photo as well.

11. That incongruent metal intrusion on the left epitomizes your text, And I like the title you used better than the alternate because of the implications. Thank you!

12. Beautiful pic and reflection. Thank you.

13. Reblogged this on Monique Sanchíz de Mihalitsianos and commented:
    Beautiful pic and reflection about the transience of time and space.

14. beautiful wisdom, fantastic piece Elan

15. Well done. Subtle and succinct.

16. I like Grasp for the title. I love the analogy on life and relationships… the trail is full of challenges but essentially the nature of our spirit is to keeping going, find ways to continue on the trail…

17. Dave says:

Agree … wonderful photo and writing. Is this Eagle Creek Trail?

18. Your blog seems interesting…..

19. Thank you for visiting my blog which led me to yours. So nice to meet another kindred spirit in love with nature.