Peaceful Shit

Backyard Fountain

The doors are open

Yet, it’s silent

I should hear children…

The ones of the neighborhood

Screaming at play

Or the voice of Mr. Rush

In his backyard

Talking on his cell

About installing water pumps.

Where’s the lawn mowers

The Leaf blowers

And the loud men who mind them?

What’s up with the street man

Digging for bottles in the recycling bin?

Is he taking the day off?

Spanky the spaniel should be barking.

Mr. Fry should be meowing

rubbing my leg for food.

Where’s my neighbor

The chronic door slammer at?

I swear there’s an art to the door slam.

What about those two who argue

Over their fences

While trading tomatoes and beats?

And that incessant car alarm

That nobody seems to know

How to turn off? Where’s it at?

What happened to the occasional drunk

Searching for his girlfriend

From the bar a block away?

Has he missed his cue?

What’s this peaceful shit doing here?

Oh, there’s Spanky’s bark

And the start of a new argument.

Tomatoes are doing good this year.

Beats? Not so good.

Just when I thought things were getting good.

Good shit never lasts long

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Peaceful Shit

1. Mel Gutiér says:

Everything sounds good when you write it! LOL

Shit resonates.

2. The good shit: rarely happen; over too quickly or gets stolen…

3. To get even a taste, a whiff – you lucked out. Thank you for sharing!

4. I haven’t had any good shit for a while. There’s always hope I suppose.

5. Just Joan says:

Quiet can be rather disquieting, eh? I liked the use of “beats” which I thought was supposed to be “beets” until you did it twice. You keep me guessing, Elan. Also, good shit and peaceful shit are used at the end as if they are opposites, another paradoxically interesting idea. Good poem, thought-provoking. 🙂

6. Elan Mudrow says:

LOl, I didn’t anyone would catch that, except an officer of grammar. Just when I thought I was doing something simple. Thanks Joan.

7. Mel Gutiér says:

Simple, you’re anything but!

8. Metal Tears says:

This was super fun to read. I enjoyed it, honestly.
    Hope to read more in the future.

MetalTears

9. frankpovah says:

It doesn’t does it, Elan. But what sort of beets are beats? Genetically modified to dance in vinegar? 🙂 It’s the editor coming out in me. I love your stuff.

10. Elan Mudrow says:

Frank, you must read the other comments and then it may make sense to you. Notice, that there is no mention of a garden?

11. Elan Mudrow says:

Here’s a clue. What is the iconic thing that people throw at artistic acts they do not like?

12. Just Joan says:

Nope, no officer of grammar here. Figured it was a play on words, after all, who exchanges beets over the fence? Can’t give them away in my neck of the woods! A comprehensive list poem of the sounds you weren’t hearing. I recently read that we stir up wars because we can’t stand the boredom of peace; this kind of piggybacked on that. Simple poems invite complicated interpretations, who knows what chords they will strike in the reader? 🙂

13. Elan Mudrow says:

I’ve already been attacked. Lol!! Sounds, yes. I’m placing your comment in the review section.

14. Ah now I see what you did there! Well isn’t that smart. Great writing!

15. I freak’n love this!

16. ivors20 says:

A neighbourhood’s silent treasure.

17. marisselee says:

Your topic was about “Peaceful Shit” and mine was about the crazy life LOL

18. Elan Mudrow says:

As Just Joan put so eloquently, there is a paradox here. With your post, that paradox is found in definitions between normal and abnormal. Mine is a a metaphorical approach with sound and silence.

19. Here’s to us all being up to our eyes in the good shit all of the time 🙂

20. Is it beats or beets? I thought beets was short for beetroots. Or maybe I’m getting confused by the proximity to tomatoes and it’s actually musical beats? In which case beats is slang for… some kind of conversation?

21. Elan Mudrow says:

The latter “beats” is correct. I put it next to tomatoes on purpose. I knew people would question or correct it. There are themes of sound and/or what is good and what is shitty in the poem.

Excellent! 🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

Delightful! The ordinary sounds can feel so good. I love the whimsical fountain.

24. Ah. Thank you for clarifying. 🙂

25. That was a good one….

26. nailaalexi says:

Arrrgh 😁 It’s like a really cruel joke

27. Elan Mudrow says:

Your comment takes many different directions. Thanks.

28. psiberite says:

It is interesting and humorous. Quite unusual the shit part of it. LOL Anand Bose from Kerala

29. franklparker says:

Brilliant – except for ‘beats’ which surely ought to be ‘beets’! Thanks for liking my shared post from Dan Alletorre.

30. Elan Mudrow says:

LOl, thanks, but it’s supposed to be beats and not beets. Changes the reading if understand what I’m doing. “Sound”