Close-In

Photo by this person

The leaf blowers start.

Smell of gas fills the air.

Mounds begin to form.

There’s stragglers.

Spots of yellow and orange

Upon lawns watered

To a suspended green

During the black and white

Months Of summer.

A few flattened in driveways

By the press of a cold front

Still moist.

Only in this moment

Dead streets are art.

A Subaru passes.

Kids, mom, phone

Rearrange the gallery

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Close-In

Sweet, street collage. 😎😎😎🥀🥀🥀

2. Arbie says:

“Dead streets are art” – so lovely! Great poem! I don’t think id want to walk down the street in the picture, like ruining freshly fallen snow!

3. sdtp33 says:

Paints the picture, well done!

4. Phil Huston says:

Beauty defined is the point where reality and impression collide. Where neither is right or wrong, organic or avant garde. What we see when the world is art and art is the world, eh? The music of the seasons.

5. Just Joan says:

Great pic, Elan–reminds me of kindergarten when we preserved an autumn leaf by pressing (read: ironing) it between two sheets of wax paper. My favorite lines: “A few flattened in driveways / By the press of a cold front.” Since I associate the word “press” with ironing, the COLD front was a nice twist. Effective visual in the closing stanza, too. I could “see” the Subaru blowing by and “rearranging the gallery.” 🙂

6. Rae Longest says:

Fine poem/fine photo.

7. gaillovesgod says:

And it is a spectacular gallery!
    I feel like I could follow the yellow bricked road. 🙂

8. ivors20 says:

Swoosh, I Love it, as the Subaru passes, rearranging the gallery…. the imaginary is superb…

9. Pingback: Close-In – Elan Mudrow – Cathy Wells – Writer and Editor

10. V.J. Knutson says:

Amazing pic – love the word imagery, too.

11. Your poem is beautiful, love the photography!

From the moment I saw the autumn colored leaves on the wet pavement I felt a breath of fall. Wonderful images in your poetry.

13. marple25mary says:

This is great! I can see it all and hear the sounds!

14. This time the words and photo are symbiotic. Well done.

15. Right there, can see that …