On The Other Side Of Fire

Columbia River Gorge
December, 2017

As sure as our feet hold

To the firm ground

Winds remind us of

The shape of our bones.

Our body………

A beautiful malformation

Decorated, stretched arms

Scuffs, polished into reflection.

The sun is fast.

The river, a worm.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to On The Other Side Of Fire

1. mcaimbeul says:

Image and words, wonderful journey Elan.

Brava… 🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

3. Love the title as much as the poem!

4. grantman says:

Sitting here beside a warm fire watching snowflakes feather in and out of view. Your poem has wisked me away…Beautiful imagery

It was very cold and windy there (Cape Horn, Washington State) yesterday. For a minute or two, I hung onto a tree trunk on the edge of a cliff, slightly scared, wishing I was sitting next to a cozy fire. Fortunately, there was a lull in the gusts.

Thanks much!!

Across the river you see in the photo, is where a large forest fire raged just a month ago. That’s partially where the title came from

5. Vearna says:

very nice. ‘the river a worm’, guess only from way up high.

6. Really Well Done! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

7. ivors20 says:

Wondrous imagery in every word.

8. I’m intrigued with the area of the river been known for rapids but no longer. Must be global warming? I see the waterfall close by me here dwindling seriously. We’ve been blessed with rain so it’s a bit better now.

9. I especially like how you ended it. “the sun is fast, the river a worm”
    There’s some kind of melody to it, one that I can’t seem to get out of my head. I really enjoyed this!

10. stillight says:

Beautifully written – images and words.

Amazing word picture of a tree with a stark photo. Beautiful artistry.

12. Masterful writing, Elan. (And thank you for sharing the photo. I’ve been wondering what was left there after the fire.)

13. Alexi says:

wow this is beautiful

14. Scuffs polished into reflections…I love that Elan. I see it in the scab lands further east of the photo you posted, but never really saw it until you shared this. Nice!