Crows

Swirl

They swirl above me, swashes of crows, in a chaos of dashes. They cackle, arguing amongst themselves, bickering with the sky.

These large murders are new. I haven’t seen them like this, as if they’re scolding me. For, I think they follow me. I know you think they follow you too. I would ask you to look up. But who am I to ask?

I ask them if they’re trying to speak to me. Of course, because I’m self-absorbed, I answer for them, “Yes, I’ve made mistakes. Some of them large enough to follow me around for the rest of my life.”

Then, I realize, it’s my ability to communicate that turns them into metaphors. They’re my mistakes. They’re yours too. They are representations of me and you. No wonder their caws fill the air.

And that soothes me, but in a disturbing way. I can understand why it might make you feel uncomfortable. They fly as if they’re in love with tension.

As a child, I believed their eyes saw everything and they shared every sight they saw. They’ve seen everything. Once you’ve seen everything, you can’t believe anything. That’s why there’s so many of them.

The air is thick with eyes. Theirs, ours. Have I lost you yet? It’s ok. Disconnecting is a natural reaction. Perhaps, a survival mechanism. I reach for my phone to take a photo of them. You must see this, even though you’ve already seen it. For you’ve seen everything. I don’t care whether you believe. Let me show you again.

There’s not enough space for them to land. I feel sorry for us. The trees are lower than all the buildings. We’ve built it like that.

We stay inside. Our mistakes can belong to someone else. We don’t want to see everything. We don’t want to share anything. We just want to believe.

This entry was posted in Portraits and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Crows

1. Sifan says:

Oh wow! Just amazing

2. dronstadblog says:

Artistic and poetic at times. Wise choice of words. I like the way you are breaking the fourth wall and dragging the reader in the story. Bravo Elan. 😀

3. oh I love crows… I love this!

4. You know, I am sure you have heard of the norse mythology of Huggin and Munnin? I have a particular take on its meaning. But reading your poem, it expands my understanding of it. Thank you so much! It was not only impactful, but it has provoked a change within me, in perspective. 👍✌️

5. DC-N says:

Thought provoking! These witnesses urge our evolution, unheeded, themselves a distraction.

6. Grace Teri says:

I love your imagery and use of metaphor here!

7. Peter Klopp says:

Knowing crows and ravens very well, I was in tune with your prosaic poem much longer than you thought possible. They see indeed everything and remember everything. They keep an eye on you, even though you think they are not looking. They tolerate you at a certain distance, but raise your camera to capture them and they are gone. Thank you for your insightful poem not just about crows or ravens, Elan!

8. migueltio says:

I love the imagery!!

9. Cool picture and great reflection for the beginning of a new year. Happy New Year, Ed!

10. I am sorry that writing your name was intercepted by autocorrect, Elan.

11. Nora Pace says:

“They fly as if they’re in love with tension”….. great line

Such Beautiful Tragedies of Life and Human Consumption. 😎🥀

13. This brought me to tears.

14. elvagreen123 says:

Funny I should find your post today. For the first time that I remember there were 3 or 4 crows outside my window in the tree and they seemed to be vying for something. They swooped on each other as they each landed on a branch. There may be babies but I can’t see that high. They were only there for about 3 or 4 minutes, making a lot of noise. Then they were gone. Weird.

Interesting. Here in PDX, there are swarming murders of crows that number around 100 or more. I am witnessing this more and more, in the city center, suburbs, and city parks. They are very adept at city scrounging. And when they gather in these numbers, they love to caw it up. I’ve watched people grab their phones to take a picture at this oddity of crow-topia. It’s quite beautiful and eerie.

Crows are mysterious creatures. I had no idea how many people are in touch with them. Wonderful conversation in your poetry.

16. myoesch says:

Beautifully written. I enjoyed tagging along on your journey.

17. Nim says:

Wow! 💛💜💙💚❤

18. sana001 says:

What a perspective! So love this!! ♥

19. Whenever I hear crows going at each other, and I say it that way because their conversations always seem so passionate, I always feel left out. I often yell up to them, “What are you saying to each other?”

20. Minnelied says:

I love the noise of crows as they bicker and caw. And you really have captured an amazing mood. Love it.

21. JahSaige says:

This Is Amazing! So Amazing!!

22. rushda says:

What have we come to, how true how sad, humans dont want to coexist, beautifully worded thought.