Cascade Soul

My Spirit

is a path built in the Cascades. Tectonic plates. It adheres to a dream where I’ve floated above the trail, without pain, not worrying about the forest. The seasons stilled and the river is silent. In this sleep, my imagined body feels like it’s falling through my bed. I abruptly wake up.

My Body

is an old child’s bicycle. Tubeless tires. The back tire had a gash chewed out of it, five inches long, causing me to bump along. Then, it refused to turn, sticking in place while I was riding a couple of feet off the ground. Made a full stop and I fell. During this life, my imagined spirit feels like it’s falling through the earth. I abruptly wake up.

This entry was posted in Poetry, Short Sayings and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Cascade Soul

1. The Wife says:

Not sure why, but your post moves me deeply. Thank you.

2. V.J. Knutson says:

Really love this one. Different for you, and potent.

3. floweringink says:

Beautiful – very moving.

4. Renee Espriu says:

Beautiful images all.

5. Lost soul says:

Love the intensity 💜

6. Rae Longest says:

Unusual to say the least/both in thought and in form.

7. Love how you evoke a sense of age and history in this piece, from the weight of eras long gone to worn-out childhood items. I wish I could write as descriptively as you do in my own work. Have you any suggestions as to how I could, aside from reading extensively?

Thanks. Your question could point to many answers. But, ultimately practicing with the way words signify multiple meanings (like red for instance) while growing your own method (how can you set up words to communicate what red means to you to others?) would be my advice. This perhaps is good for poetry. With prose, description that is poetic can get in the way. But, since you seem like a reader, you’ve probably seen where some writers bend things. Write, write, write and read. Challenge your writing. Challenge your reading (don’t just read the things you like)

8. There’s, that inconsitency of the body versus the spirit described here, and, at times in our lives, we all, experience this sort of incongruities, and we work hard, to achieve that balance between our bodies, our minds, our souls, and our hearts…

9. Diana says:

Some writing makes you pause and contemplate in appreciation. 🙂

10. BLACK PEN says:

This is wonderful… I like it

The picture is fascinating. It mirrors the two worlds of Spirit and Body. I think Body is the tree bark and Spirit is whatever I imagine I can see beyond it. Wonderful.

Always, Superb Writing! 😎😎😎🥀🥀🥀🥀🥀

13. mcaimbeul says:

Brilliant, simply brilliant.

14. The word, ‘esoteric’, coms to mind! Nicely done!

15. Yes. 🙂 And what beautiful image that is. 🙂

16. Anand Bose says:

The tropes you have used are so surreal, so imaginative and creative. Loved the aesthetic effect of your writing. Anand Bose from Kerala

17. Charles Ryder says:

Somehow, it’s got an ethereal aura that moved me unexpectedly. Fascinating.

18. inkspiredng says:

cascading dreams. Our falls make us wake…